Welcome to WhiteLineFever.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the WhiteLineFever community.

Poll Home Stadium for Souths

Discussion in 'South Sydney Rabbitohs' started by RADICAL RABBIT, Feb 7, 2018.

?

When the new Sydney stadiums are built, which stadium should be home for Souths???

1. New ANZ Stadium (Sydney Olympic Park)

57.1%
  2. New Sydney Football Stadium (Moore Park)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Somewhere else (please say where)

42.9%
  1. stanleyg

stanleyg Well-Known Member

that is the beauty of suburban grounds I guess. You can have a small crowd in them and still get a great atmosphere. Large grounds like ANZ wit a small crowd not only look empty but sound it too. Perhaps a computer generated crowd for tv might fix the visual effects and it will be a few years before we get a new ANZ or SFS.

2. Rabbits 21

Rabbits 21 Well-Known Member

No bro...... I'm just gonna try lay low though and not get baited...; careful in what I say...

I sent you a PM on here....

callmack1 likes this.
  3. Rabbits 21

Oh no I won't be trying to get members from here over there so you don't have to worry...

I also won't post aggressively about them...

4. S J

S J Mod Squad Staff Member

Agree - reposts are quite OK imo - but should normally include something from the poster - even if it's ... "yes - I agree" ... :)

I quite enjoy reading articles I've never seen before - say from the media. But yes - identify where it comes from if possible (eg - SMH, nrl.com etc).

5. Rabbits 21

Hey mate there are so many Bunnies everywhere....

Biggest membership club in Sydney and biggest base on this site soon lol.....

RADICAL RABBIT likes this.
  6. southsport

southsport Well-Known Member

Behave yourself R21.

7. Rabbits 21

Righteo...... it was just a heads up to him lol.......

I'd imagine SJ is a happy Chappy with the news re Doust retiring..... I think it's good news for them and more members will hope aboard in future years....

I can see the Eels and Dragons growing their base more for sure...

8. callmack1

callmack1 Active Member

Good idea man. I'll get to your PM soon.

Rabbits 21 likes this.
  9. Rabbits 21

Sorry mate but there is a bit of reading for ya....

I think RR messaged you too...

10. S J

S J Mod Squad Staff Member

I'm sure we'll manage ... size on this site means nothing. We go on value and friendship ... :)

We'll run as we always have regardless of numbers or Clubs.

Yes - Doust is not a great loss but we'll probably just appoint another in-house man.

stanleyg and Rabbits 21 like this.
  11. SSTID

SSTID Active Member

"size... means nothing"

I KNEW IT!!!! Ah thank you! LOL

12. SSTID

SSTID Active Member

No Bazza, no. I grew up in Redfern and Redfern oval is the spiritual home of the club and always will be but it is still a small suburban ground. There is not enough room to build an appropriately sized modern stadium unless they extended into Chalmers street and tore down the old Souths Leagues club. Redfern oval backs onto Elizabeth street a major arterial road that links the Sydney CBD to Redfern, Waterloo and Alexandria and then links as an alternate route to Mascot. There are no roads that can handle the diversion of traffic.

As much as I would love to see South Sydney return to Redfern oval it simply isn't possible and parking is non-existent and there is room to build a parking station to cope with the traffic and no roads to handle the influx of traffic to the area. It would be a logistical nightmare. Moore Park (the area that borders the Eastern Distributor and Cleveland Street would be a perfect site and has room to incorporate parking but heaven help the commuters and residents if there is a game at this location and Allianz Stadium at the same time!

Before Souths, the NRL or the State government considers investing in such a venture they need to first consider the long-term future of the South Sydney Rabbitohs and the other remaining 8 Sydney based teams. The hourglass has nearly run out and there is little sand remaining before the NRL will be forced to make some tough decisions in order to expand and grow the game. I cannot see the current system of 9 Sydney based clubs being sustained indefinitely and expansion WILL NOT HAPPEN while this problem is not addressed. It pains me to even think about it, given that my team the Rabbitohs are the oldest existing registered club and one of the two oldest heritage clubs with the Roosters. It may be an "inconvenient truth" but it not going to go away and putting our heads in the sand only gives rival codes like soccer and the AFL time to grow and expand into new regions and potential markets that the NRL should be pursuing aggressively.

It is grossly unfair that some of the oldest clubs in the game are facing the prospect of merging, relocating or vanishing from the game while younger clubs like Brisbane and Melbourne have a state capital city all to themselves and are assured of their place in the game going forward. Nevertheless, it is the way the cards have been dealt.

In light of all of the above, it is NOT my wish but my belief that South Sydney (sometime in the not too distant future) will relocate to Perth. I can only hope that there will be no name or brand chance when and if this happens but it seems inevitable. I think South Sydney have been preparing for this eventuality taking so many of their games to Perth over a considerable period of time and building up a substantial following in the process. IF South Sydney faced the prospect of having to relocate or merge I would be more in favour of them relocating than merging with the Roosters (even though this is a very logical outcome). There is no love lost between the two clubs or their supporters but I fear that due to the cunning and scheming of Nick Politis if such a merge did eventuate the Roosters would dominate the new entity and I would rather see the Rabbitohs survive elsewhere.

My first preference then would be for Souths to move to a stadium closer to their spiritual roots at Moore Park but NOT sharing with the Roosters at Allianz stadium. As such a development seems highly unlikely, perhaps impossible I would then favour Souths remaining where they are until such time they are forced to relocate. Personally speaking, I would LOVE to see them relocate to the Central Coast where I live. The Rabbitohs have a huge following on the Central Coast and seem to be the clear favourites here with Manly clearly second and the rest of the clubs a lightyear behind. The Central Coast would be a good home for the Bunnies but Souths leadership has clearly abandoned this idea in favour of Perth judging by the home games that have been taken from the Central Coast and moved to Perth in recent years.

13. Rabbits 21

Souths will not have to relocate..... won't happen.....

A club like the shambolic Tigers who didn't fight for their identity can be moved elsewhere.... they don't really have a home ground anymore and their identity is lost.... send em packing I say...... we are a much better run club than they are and we have so so many more supporters compared to them....

Us Rabbitohs have fought battle/s and triumphed like no one else could and will fight and rally again if we have too..... my oath we will and once again WE WILL WIN and stay right here in Sydney....

The Pride of the League shall remain in Sydney...... I'm certain of that......

14. SSTID

SSTID Active Member

I hope you're right Rabbits. But the Roosters and the Rabbitohs boundaries encompass the Sydney CBD and eastern suburbs and the area is too small in modern terms to accommodate two teams. Politis thinks he has tied up the Sydney franchise by stealing the title of Sydney which more appropriately belongs to South Sydney:

Redfern to Sydney CBD: 3.6 km via Chalmers St
    Bondi Junction to Sydney CBD: 6.6 km via Cross City Tunnel

South Sydney are 3 kms closer to the Sydney CBD than the Roosters and therefore more accurately deserving of the title.

15. RADICAL RABBIT

RADICAL RABBIT Well-Known Member

Hmmm but I heard the Roosters territory includes the eastern parts of the CBD, including the 2000 postcode.

Souths won't have to relocate or merge if the club stays financially strong. After the increase of the grant from the NRL to the clubs, the NRL have stated that they wont be able to help the clubs now if they get into financial trouble, so it will be those clubs that get into financial trouble who will have to fold, or move down to a second tier comp (NSW Cup/QLD Cup), relocate, or merge.

Rabbits 21 likes this.
  16. Rabbits 21

Please don't mention the word Politis lol........

I've had enough of that sleezebag....... in fact just the thought is making me feel ill.........

I'm starting to fire up mate.......

They play dirty and broke an agreement we had so we took control of the junior footy stuff and cut them off I heard........ bravo bravo I say............ bravo......

Oh how I wish we could get Latrell Mitchell but we know they'll go all out and that to keep him...... in fact I'd better not say what they'll do in case it breaks rules on here..... but we aren't silly , you get what I mean...... if you wanna talk more about this kinda thing I'm happy to PM you.....

17. Rabbits 21

That's why our membership base is so important too and for us members t try and get any supporrters we know to join.....

18. SSTID

SSTID Active Member

You can read at length my views on the Roosters and their ceilingless salary cap and "Uncle Nick's book of dirty tricks" if you google my posts on ZT. I have already posted something on this site tonight having a shot at Politis and the Roosters, in fact, 2 things.

I am traditional as they come but progress is as inevitable as death and taxes. You can't stop them. The last thing I want is for the club I have loved and followed for almost 50 years to be merged, relocated or rebranded. But worse still is to suffer being exiled to oblivion! They tried to do that to the Rabbitohs once before and they still came back and won another premiership. I just want any change, if change cannot be avoided, to be on our terms NOT the NRL's, Murdoch's or Politis's.

Have you read George Piggins account of a secret meeting with James Packer and Nick Politis? How they tried to railroad him into agreeing to a merger which would have seen the Rabbitohs give up EVERYTHING and the Roosters lose absolutely nothing in the new entity? Souths colours, emblem and name all gone and the Roosters retained their identity untouched.

James Hooper, The Sunday Telegraph
    September 1, 2013 12:00am

Piggins still recalls getting a phone call from Jack Gibson to arrange the meeting at Packer’s place back in 1994.

"Not long after we sat down, Packer told us what the plan was," Piggins said. "I looked at Nick Politis and said `I’ve only got one question Nick, how much say would South Sydney have in the running of a combined club?

"He looked at me and said: `None’.

"I thought: `Well, there goes the oysters, I’m wasting my time. We agreed we would continue to go our own ways."

"I remember looking at George and I could see it in his eyes. And you know what, he could probably see it in my eyes, too," Politis said.

"We never really wanted to join forces, but Kerry wanted us to get together. We talked a little, but we were both too proud of the heritage of our clubs. We didn’t want to lose our identities.

"There’s too much history, too much tradition. So there was no deal."

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/755e6999d79cee3338717aa409ac8001

Rabbits 21 likes this.
  19. RADICAL RABBIT

RADICAL RABBIT Well-Known Member

None of us really know if they're breaking the salary cap or not. It's possible that they aren't, and they just have good salary cap management and that they benefit from a lot of third party deals.

20. Rabbits 21

Yeah mate I've seen that before....