Welcome to WhiteLineFever.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the WhiteLineFever community.

Rugby League Melbourne - News, Signings and Rumours

Discussion in 'Melbourne Storm' started by S J, Jun 10, 2013.

1. S J

S J Mod Squad Staff Member

Melbourne's new owners face a battle to retain Cameron Smith with the Storm skipper revealing he will emulate Maroons teammate Johnathan Thurston and weigh up all offers on the open market. As he prepares for his 250th game against Cronulla at AAMI Park, Smith told The Sunday Mail he would not rush negotiations as he mulls over the most important, and possibly final, contract of his glittering career.

Interesting - I wonder what Clubs might offer ? Is he worth the same as JT or GI ?

2. S J

Melbourne Storm continues their focus on retention by today confirming the re-signing of speedsters Justin O’Neill and Sisa Waqa for three and two years respectively.

In further good news Junior Moors and Matt Duffie have taken up options for 2014, on the back of last week’s contract extensions to Mahe Fonua, Kenny Bromwich, Slade Griffin and Jordan McLean, further cementing an impressive playing roster for next year and beyond.

3. S J

MELBOURNE Storm concede they may not be able to hold onto in-form centre Maurice Blair in the face of salary cap pressure.

Blair, who is out of contract at season’s end, has told the Storm he wants to stay beyond this season.

But the Storm may not be able to afford him Titans on the look out - although who knows how - with their roster.

Herald Sun.

I also have doubts on Melbourne's ability to keep their people - besides Blair. Are they playing for the Club ?

4. S J

Melbourne Storm has today announced the signing of exciting Penrith Panthers speedster Travis Robinson, adding vital speed and versatility to their 2014/2015 playing roster.

The 26-year old South Sydney junior ironically made his NRL debut against Melbourne Storm in round 22 last year and has continued to impress the right people with his form this season.

5. Muppet

Muppet Moderator Staff Member

I thought the Panthers would have wanted to keep him.

6. S J

No - they have to make room for ... ;)

7. S J

Premiership winning front rower Bryan Norrie has re-signed with Melbourne Storm until the end of the 2015, further consolidating Craig Bellamy’s roster for the next couple of seasons.

Norrie, 29, joined Melbourne Storm late in the preseason of 2010 and quickly positioned himself as one of the club’s most liked players both on and off the field.

Not only has he cemented his position as starting front rower with 88 appearances, he has also established himself as a leader and mentor for the club’s young players.

8. S J

Melbourne Storm has continued to build their playing ranks for next season and beyond by announcing another two new recruits, Hymel Hunt and Felise Kaufusi.

The two exciting Queensland youngsters will join the Melbourne Storm full time squad at the end of the year after completing their commitments with the current NRL clubs, Gold Coast Titans and Cowboys respectively.

Hunt, made his NRL debut in the centres for the Gold Coast Titans against Penrith back in Round 17 this year, at the tender age of only nineteen. The former Nudgee College rugby union convert has impressed in the top grade after working his way through their NYC system.

Kaufusi, 21, the younger brother of former Storm International forward Antonio, has spent the past three years with the Cowboys. Felise is part of their full time squad and has been knocking on the door for an NRL debut, with strong performances in the front row for the Northern Pride, who currently lead the QRL Intrust Super Cup.

9. S J

Melbourne Storm veteran Brett Finch tonight announced on the NRL Footy Show his retirement at the end of the season to take up a some media opportunities, including a position with Channel 9.

10. S J

Easts Tigers five-eighth Cody Walker is one step closer to fulfilling the childhood dream after agreeing to a one-year deal with the Melbourne Storm earlier this week.

“(Playing NRL) has always been my goal since I can remember. Hopefully through hard work over the pre-season I can get there,” he says.

“Melbourne is the best club in the competition and I see a real opportunity there to play first grade.”

The inking of a National Rugby League contract is just reward for rich vein of form that has seen the 23-year-old claim the 2013 Courier Mail Best and Fairest Award and finish first on the Intrust Super Cup point scoring table at the completion of the regular season.

11. S J

George Rose signed to Melbourne for 2014.

12. S J

Rumour has it that Cam Smith may be really considering a move move. Sad to see him go - but Melbourne must have Cap issues like any other Club.

13. S J

Ben Roberts signs.

14. Muppet

Wow, I never thought a player like Roberts would fit in with a Bellamy coached side. Doesn't seem like the right kind of a fit. Bellamy likes to much structure for him IMO.

15. S J

Cameron Smith to stay put. 4 years.

16. Muppet

Is that confirmed.

17. S J

I believe so.

18. Muppet

Great news for the club. This should insure they stay competitive for at least the next 4 years.

19. TerryG

TerryG Voider of Warranties Staff Member

Thought so.

I doubt very much that Cam ever had any serious intention of transferring. It's all a big show to drive up his price for staying put. It happens all the time.

If a player really wants to go, the first sign is usually that the new contract has already been signed. This way they cop less flak.

Most of the press speculation will now move to whether or not Cam, Cronk, Slater, JT and Inglis will last another four years.

20. S J

Now the Broncs after DCE I believe ... ;)