Welcome to WhiteLineFever.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the WhiteLineFever community.

Rugby League North Sydney Bears

Discussion in 'South Sydney Rabbitohs' started by southsport, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Archie

Archie Active Member

Good to see the Bears still going. Use to love the old ground.

2. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

Yeah..4yrs.

3. Rabbits 21

Rabbits 21 Well-Known Member

Don't start me..

4. S J

S J Mod Squad Staff Member

Year 5 can be tough ...

5. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

I didn't have the skills 4 5th form (yr 11&12).
    Apprenticeship beckons. .Lol

S J likes this.
  6. Archie

Archie Active Member

Is he having a dig at you Bazza ... I never liked school that much I must admit.

7. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

No, that's S J Dad joke telling :confused:

S J likes this.
  8. SSTID

SSTID Active Member

I agree about keeping Talakai away from the centres but he isn't (and will never be) big enough to make it in the forwards either IMO. I don't really rate Siosifa Talakai. He is too small for the forwards and lacking in speed and mobility as an outside back and his defence is also suspect.

Additional thoughts...

Jesse Arthars and Mawene Hiroti look like exciting prospects to take over in the role of custodian given the chance and AJ (who is improving at FB) is better suited to the wing IMO. Souths need finishers with speed to burn out wide. Although Gagai and Inglis in the centres would be a great pairing I can't help but think that Gagai outside GI and with Sam Burgess as edge as back rower would be an unstoppable combination. I am aware that Gagai plays on the right but he could easily slot in on the left wing and would make the most of the many opportunities provided by Inglis out wide. This would allow Campbell Graham an opportunity to play right centre (but he needs to put a few more kilos first). With his suspect knee, Inglis has the best chance of playing a full season if he shifts to the centres and leaves FB for younger legs like AJ, Arthars or Hiroti.

Connor Tracey shows promise but I am worried that after 3 successive knee operations in as many years young Tracey may be on shaky legs. Fingers crossed though as by all accounts he is meant to be a good young talent with great prospects for the future.

I'm very interested in seeing how Jesse Arthars, Mawene Hiroti, Connor Tracey, Tyrone Taukamo, Lucky Taavale, Sam Johnstone, Ky Rodwell and Jesse Martins progress throughout the season. There is considerable young talent at Souths that will put pressure on the first 17 in 2018 and seem to be outstanding prospects going forward. If Inglis, Reynolds and Sam can remain fit and on the field, Walker remains at 5/8 and "the Twins" can hold the ball Souths look set for more glory, glory in 2018!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  9. southsport

southsport Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard SSTID, generally agree with what you say but your thoughts on Talakai being too small for the forwards is especially interesting, I haven't considered that before.

S J likes this.
  10. southsport

11. SSTID

SSTID Active Member

"generally agree with what you say"

As I have only posted two or three times here I am assuming that you are referring to Zero Tackle or the ROAR? Is that you 3hats? Or what other profile are you known by on either of these sites? I have reserved my profile name SSTID_1970 (used on both these sites) to avoid trolls acquiring my identity.

12. southsport

No, I was only referring to the above post, I've never been to those sites you mentioned.

13. RADICAL RABBIT

RADICAL RABBIT Well-Known Member

I'd say he was talking about Talakai's height (178cm).

14. Rabbits 21

I think Talakai has potential there to come off the bench if we need him too! He's a motor on him that's for sure. He's a back up option at this point if injuries hit...

Agree with you re having him nowhere near the backs!

AJ will flourish at fullback I think with his taste for it last season. He will only get better... problem is he's a bit small and defensively that's a problem.

Haven't seen much of Arthars or Hiroti yet so I look forward to that in the match against Wigan.

I don't want Sam on an edge tbh. He is best in the middle and we need his defence there... we can't rely on the twins at this stage..

Other teams are laughing at our softer middle without Sam there... Murray can't do it all...

15. RADICAL RABBIT

I don't understand the big push to have Sam Burgess play second row. He is one of the best middle third forwards in the world. Just get him to play a bit wider at times when we are attacking the try line. It's not like we don't have decent second row options: Crichton, Sutton, Fuimaono, Murray.

16. RADICAL RABBIT

17. Rabbits 21

Even Britt or Turner can play back row plus Leulaui...

18. RADICAL RABBIT

Yeah but I see them as back up players.

19. Rabbits 21

I see Sutto and Angus as both starting off the bench...

Just play Sam for the first 20mins in back row and then interchange out Tom with Sam moving to prop and Angus coming on..

At some point Sam gets his 15min breather.... so he still plays 45mins at prop..

20. Rabbits 21

Problem is we have too many back up players that aren't regular first graders or youngsters of which some won't be ready yet..