Welcome to WhiteLineFever.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the WhiteLineFever community.

Rugby League NRL RD 9 - Saints v Melbourne (Home)

Discussion in 'St George-Illawarra Dragons' started by S J, Apr 26, 2017.

1. stanleyg

stanleyg Well-Known Member

First Half
    Storm came into the game with a simple game plan.
    Run the ball up the centre a few plays and all the Dragons defenders would gather around the forwards then put the ball wide and score in the corners.
    It was so easy they ran in two tries on each side of the field.
    For the Dragons it was a case of hold as best they could but mistakes when in possession of the ball ad giving away penalties didn't help their cause.
    A token try against the run of play left the Dragons down 22 - 4 going in for oranges.

2nd half
    Hard to see to much changing unless the storm get tired and the Dragons got a bit of luck with the storm tiring a little and Cronk doing a stint in the sin bin.
    Running in a few tries ended making the score line much more respectable in what was basically just short of flogging with the storm taking the Dragons to school.
    Highlight of the Dragons play was the way they offloaded and tossed the ball about with nothing to lose in the last 20 minutes.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  2. S J

S J Mod Squad Staff Member

A tad disappointing. First half saw some poor defence out wide and some VERY poor reffing. I had my "Ref's Ears" on and listened as Cecchin didn't stop warning Melbourne to stop holding on or doing something - eg moving off the mark, roughing up an opponents head etc. BUT - no penalty. Apparently he only saw our misdemeanours.

Some of the forward passes were shocking. The crowd made the usual involuntary noise each time - but the Refs would have none of it. In one 2nd half movement we saw two apparent forward passes and both were let go. The female lines person was so far behind the play she had no idea.

Without the help of the penalties they would not have scored 2 or 3 of there tries. One of the penalties - Frizell "high" shot was not a high shot - yet it gave them 6 more on the line. When he complained the Ref stated - "yes- OK - but you were working him". (ie it was not a penalty - but I gave it anyway).

All in all we ended up looking better than perhaps we should - but the offside play was shocking. Again - I don't think you see it on TV - but at times they stood metres in front of the Refs and they did nothing. I counted 4 maybe 5 warnings the Ref gave to Smith about holding in the tackle - NOTHING happened. He warned their winger - the hyphenated one - not to step off the mark when playing the ball 2 or 3 times - NOTHING happened. He warned their centre not to rough up the heads of he tackled players - NOTHING happened.

Yet in the first half he penalised us for just about everything he possibly could.

It seemed as if they had an agenda and they were sticking to it.

This is not to say we played well. Poor defence caused at least 2 tries. I rarely blame Refs but this bloke's input was a strong reason we lost.

Good to see we scored well in the 2nd half and would give them some hope for next time with their main playmaker back. They badly missed him. And his kicking - Duges missed 4.

I think tries ended up 6-5 to them - perhaps a fair barometer of the game - but we could have been closer with better kicking and our playmaker in the game.

3. S J

4. stanleyg

Refereeing has been getting bad across the board lately and one would hope they go back to school for refresher courses....often.
    To be fair the Nrl keeps playing with the rules so often its hard for anyone to keep up with them.
    That said the Dragons seemed to be on the receiving end of some poor calls BUT in the end its how they play that counts.
    Our scrambling defence was poor.
    Usually our weakness has been up the middle however I have been saying even before B Mozz left that our wingers don't seem to trust their inside men to defend so they drift way off their wing.
    Perhaps now Mary will tell them to stay out in their assigned positions after they were shown up by the storm..
    As I said after the game I liked the way the Dragons tossed the ball around in the last 20 minutes and it made the scoreline look respectable although prior to Cronk going off I thought the storm were going to run up 50 points plus on us.

5. moto748

moto748 Well-Known Member

Never been a Storm fan, but have to say they were back to their imperious best here. Exposed the Dragons defence by smart ball movement as noted above, and despite the Dragons' spirited effort in the second half, they would surely have won more comfortably were in not for Cronk's harsh (no, make that downright wrong) sin-binning. A cracking contest to watch, anyway.

6. stanleyg

I actually think Cronk should have been sent off and the other two storm players given ten minutes in the Bin over the Nene matter. It certainly would have made it a much closer contest.:bag:

7. S J

He certainly deserved 10 - it was a professional foul.

I'd like to see players given 10 for penalties in the 10. Maybe after 3, 10 metre penalties - player involved to Bin. OR - make the goal worth 3 points if penalty given in 10.

Its a rot that has set in where teams (eg Chooks) blatantly give away penalties in the 10 - so no fast taps - and get their D set. We have to stop it.

stanleyg likes this.
  8. stanleyg

It definitely seems more than a few clubs are happy to concede penalties in the 10 to reset their defence or give the opposition a go at a 2 point kick.
    Perhaps seeing the Nrl is so fond of changing the rules they may as well take a leaf out of the Yawnion playbook and make 10 metre penalties worth 3 points.
    If nothing else it may make clubs back their defence a bit more.

9. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

You got hammered - Man up mate ..haha

10. Bazza

Bazza Well-Known Member

You're like my brother - crazy hopeless.

11. stanleyg

Jeez Bazza you need to read posts a bit more. I did say it was just short of flogging and the Dragons were taken to school by the Storm.
    Sj wears rose coloured glasses or was little distracted by the ocean view to notice though:rolleyes:

12. S J

Bazz - I did say 12 points - did I not ... ;)

13. stanleyg

that you did and the way the game suddenly changed you could be excused for thinking someone in purple had money on the outcome:hungover: