Welcome to WhiteLineFever.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the WhiteLineFever community.

Opinion Parramatta Cap / Court Battle.

Discussion in 'Parramatta Eels' started by Bazza, May 2, 2016.

1. Bazza

Bazza Active Member

2. S J

S J Mod Squad Staff Member

If guilty they should have no chance of participating in this year's finals. Simple.

We have set the precedent before. Lets hop the NRL have the guts to stick by it.

ALX22 likes this.
  3. TerryGaines

TerryGaines Voider of Warranties

Written by STAFF WRITERS at RLW , May 3, 2016

THE NRL have come down hard on the Parramatta Eels, docking the club 12 competition points and imposing a $1 million fine.

An NRL investigation has revealed the club has exceeded the salary cap to gain an unfair advantage since at least 2013.

The preliminary findings reveal that the club’s illegal actions were taken with the knowledge and approval of directors and senior executives.

As a result the following breach notice has been issued:

– The club will be fined the maximum penalty of $1 million (with $250,000 suspended if the club accelerates the governance reforms recommended by PWC within an agreed specified time frame)

– The Parramatta Eels will be docked all competition points accumulated so far this season while their team was in breach of the salary cap. The club will be able to begin accruing points as soon as it makes the necessary changes to comply with the 2016 cap.

– The club will be stripped of its Auckland Nines competition title won earlier this year

The club is currently $570,000 over the salary cap and will not be eligible to earn competition points until this is amended.

The NRL has also issued breach notices to three members of the club’s board and two members of the executive. These individuals include, chairman Steve Sharp, deputy chairman Tom Issa, director Peter Serrao, CEO John Boulous and football manager Daniel Anderson.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg said the punishment is a result of the club breaching the salary cap rules on some level in five of the past six years.

“We will need to take a stand on behalf of the fans, the club and the game,” Mr Greenberg said.

“This would be a tough outcome for many people, particularly the players and fans, but we believe it would be the start of a process to make the Parramatta club the powerhouse it should be.

“Unfortunately, we may have to go through this pain for the long term health of the club and the game.”

4. TerryGaines

12 points means 6 games away out of 24 games and 2 byes in season 2016.

Parra can still finish in the top eight and definitely ahead of the Knights, Titans, Tigers, Souths, Warriors and Saints who have yet to stabilize their season with consistent form.

I feel the NRL got this about right and I remember the late charge Parra made into the top eight in 2009 and on to winning the G.F.

Parra's season can still be rescued.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  5. S J

I may be naïve ... but if I was given money in a brown paper envelope - in cash - I'd start to think is it OK.

BUT - that's just me :)

nodd likes this.
  6. stanleyg

stanleyg Well-Known Member

I can hear the sour grapes from some involved in the Storm issue and probably slightly lesser rumblings at the Dodgies old management.
    The Eels have an outside chance under this punishment of making the 8 BUT any opportunity gets less the longer court action goes on I guess.
    If they have any ethics the eels management should pack their bags ......quickly.
    The other matter is trying to use Wattamouth retirement as a fix for their rorting. The cap issue should apply to the current active playing squad and not someone who has virtually finished his career anyway

TerryGaines and ALX22 like this.
  7. TerryGaines

8. TerryGaines

I hear ya. In respect of Wattamouth though, he's completely broken down with a chronic knee injury and has played his last game already. So what ever Parra paid for Wattamouth, it was overs and he's an obvious choice for ejection.

9. Bazza

Bazza Active Member

The eels will lose Norman, Semi and 2 other players. Watmough was injured when he come to the eels...Jesus! The 5 board members have to piss off...NOW! It hurts the players and very much so the fans. Go away.

TerryGaines likes this.
  10. stanleyg

stanleyg Well-Known Member

Sounds good BUT weren't the eels recently suggesting or hoping any payout due to his injury NOT be included in their salary cap??. Surely they cant be allowed to rort it both ways:bag:

TerryGaines likes this.
  11. S J

Greenberg has said Watmough is not just the answer. As Bazza said - he brought an injury with him. And the 5 Directors are now fighting it. Mind you - if they don't - it will place a bad mark on their careers for quite a while. It's a catch 22 really.

And - its all tied together. No points until the matter settled - not just under the cap.

While Parra are the scapegoats this time - how many others are out there. I think we all have our suspicions on certain Clubs and certain Clubs have a distinct advantage over others due to their location. The 3rd party set up is a joke and destroys the Cap.

I have doubts about players letting $1-200k's pa go to play with a certain coach or stay in a certain club. Yes - maybe a few - but it rings bells.

I'm still not sure why the NRL can't do some notional work - and not reply on whistle blowers to catch clubs. Without the WB's they would not have caught ANY !!!

Why not do a notional salary for each player in a Club - then see what they are supposedly getting under the Cap - then 3rd Party deals. Then check tax and bank records. It would be easy to include such things in the NRL registered contracts. As with laundered money and illegal movement of monies - it can be traced to a source. In fact it is a prime way the USA fights terrorism.

But - while whistle blowers have their uses - you'd like to think the Cap/deals were more transparent than it seems they are.

12. Bazza

Bazza Active Member

Who fights the battle if the 5 directors were found guilty and they want to go the full on trial (barristers)? Parramatta eels members and the league's club. Most clubs do third party dealings, but the 5 directors are not good with numbers. Personally I prefered the 2 woodens spoons. Around parra district, there is good young players and they were poach before eels staffing management could seal a offer for a few years. Hayne, years ago at Cabramatta juniors got him. These days, eels recruitment people should notice 15-16 years old who has pedigree (maybe a Father who played footy) and their height , weight and so forth. It happens in the USA. I think some clubs do that??

13. nodd

nodd Active Member

Fuckin' cheats- throw the book at them` They have already robbed teams of points this season.

14. TerryGaines

Like you I'm kinda glad they are not allowed and bugger them for even trying.

Anthony Watmough confirms he will retire as Parramatta finalise salary cap plan by Chris Barrett
    [​IMG]
    Done Eel: Anthony Watmough. Photo: Getty Images

Parramatta hope to convince the NRL that they should only have to trim as little as $150,000 from their salary cap this year in order to be playing for points against South Sydney next Friday, a figure that would comfortably be achieved with the retirement of Anthony Watmough.

The Eels on Thursday submitted an application to League Central requesting that Watmough be declared to have a career-ending injury and thus removed from the cap. Hours later the veteran back-rower confirmed he was prepared to retire to do "the right thing by the club".

The club is still facing a race against time to be cap compliant for round 10, however, as the NRL awaits the outcome of action taken by five officials implicated in their breach notice in the Supreme Court on Friday before Brad Arthur's team can be given the green light to be competitive.

The Eels were told on Tuesday they must strip $570,000 from their top-25 roster in order to play for points next Friday and begin an ambitious quest to win 12 from their remaining 15 games and reach the semi-finals.

Parramatta's internal point man on fixing their cap dilemma - former NRL salary cap auditor Ian Schubert - has produced a plan to take to headquarters. Having Watmough off their books is central to it but Schubert's calculations are different to those of the NRL, who have included in this year's Eels cap third-party deals from the past three years that they found were improperly guaranteed.

Fairfax Media has been told by sources at the Eels that they were under the cap by $200,000 as of last month. Schubert's latest sums, which include the exit of Ryan Morgan to Melbourne and third-party deals they've subsequently been breached for, are understood to have them in a best-case scenario having to shed about $150,000 from their roster.

The retirement of Watmough would easily cover that, particularly if the NRL agreed to backdate his career-ending injury and remove his full $700,000 contract from this year's figures.

"I've got no doubt in my mind what I have to do if it comes to that, and if it comes to that I've got no hesitation in doing the right thing by the club," Watmough told Channel Nine on Thursday night.

The Eels believe there are some anomalies in the way the NRL has calculated their cap position including some entries being double counted and are looking to work through them with salary cap auditor Jamie L'Oste Brown.

The NRL indicated on Thursday their cap blowout could be revised during the preliminary breach notice period based on discussions with L'Oste Brown, with a similar development occurring last year when a $525,000 fine for other cap excesses was later reduced to $465,000.

With Watmough's retirement appearing to be the problem solver the principal stumbling block for the Parramatta players remains the legal action taken by chairman Steve Sharp, directors Tom Issa and Peter Serrao, chief executive John Boulous and football operations manager Daniel Anderson against the NRL. The five are back in court on Friday after being granted an injunction against suspensions that were handed to them as they were asked to show cause why they should not be deregistered.

Another Eels director, Parramatta Lord Mayor Paul Garrard, said on Thursday the club would be "disputing a lot of what is in the breach notice" and maintained they were under the cap for this season.

"I support the documentation put forward by Ian Schubert and there clearly needs to be some interpretation of the breach notice in terms of the figures they've presented," Garrard said.

"They haven't given us any metrics of what they are, where they come from. It wasn't in the breach notice where they got the figures from."

Garrard was confident, however, that Arthur's team would be playing for points against Souths.

"A dialogue will be created between the NRL [and the club], and it will need to happen smartly, to enable the Anthony Watmough issue and the salary cap issue to be addressed prior to tomorrow week and to get that team on the field," he said.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  15. S J

Its all starting to annoy me. Looks like a set-up.

They'll be back playing next week. Teams that lost to them while cheating get nothing. Melbourne and Canterbury - who virtually got kicked out - mean nothing.

I still feel more was needed.

This means - you cheat - get caught - retire an injured player - and gee - you're back in it again.

16. TerryGaines

(1) Melbourne lost all of their titles acquired through cheating. Parra only had one title to strip, the NRL 9's, and that's gone now. The only other thing to take away would be their collection of spoons and they can keep them.

(2) Written by RLW STAFF WRITERS , May 6, 2016

THE NRL have decided to reverse their decision and allow the Eels to accrue points while the five embattled officials fight their deregistration charge.

Initially, it was revealed that club would not be eligible to accrue points before they get under the salary cap and the five named officials and directors stand down.

On Wednesday the ‘five’ in question announced they would be fighting their sacking which put the heat back on the NRL. And as a result, the governing body softened their stance and advised the club and board representatives on Thursday night that they would be eligible to accrue points despite the court action.

The only barrier now preventing the club from accruing points is the outstanding $570,000 on their 2016 salary cap. If the Eels can wipe this sum from their books legally they will be eligible to accrue points.

The ‘gang of five’ will continue to take their matter to the NSW Supreme Court but a date is yet to set.

Right with you on being annoyed though.

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  17. TerryGaines

[​IMG]
    For the longest time, I've held Daniel Anderson in very high regard.

- He coached the Warriors to their 1st GF in 2002.
    - He was the 2002 Daly M Coach of the year.
    - He coached the Kiwis from 2003 to 2005.
    - He coached St Helens from 2005 to 2008 winning the 2006 Challenge Cup and BBC coach of the year.
    - He won 2006 and 2007 SL Coach of the year.
    - He won the 2007 World Club Challenge.
    - He claimed another Challenge Cup in 2008.
    - He coached Parra to the 2009 NRL GF.
    - He served in the NRL as the Referees Elite Performance Manager.
    Finally he became Parra's general manager of football operations.

Many fans truly marvelled at his League mind when he commentated NRL games for ABC Grandstand Radio.

Others had only the highest regard for his ethics and professionalism when he was selected as Manager of the Referees.

Some hadn't ruled him out as a potential CEO of the NRL.

But while leading Parra as general manager of football operations, things have come to this.

Daniel Anderson, more than any other person at Parra, would have known in fine detail, who was being head hunted, let go, what they cost and what it took to put the playing roster together.

The situation at Parra all happened on his watch.

How could anyone with such a stellar career in Rugby League off-field leadership bring total shock, shame and scandal to the sport that up till now has been their whole life?

18. S J

Have they taken their wooden spoons away ?

19. Bazza

Bazza Active Member

Andrew Gee from the Broncos...Lol! Get your facts straight ..saint supporter ..It's like I'm speaking to my brother and occasionally my old Man.

20. S J

:)

What facts are missing - they cheated ! Simple.