Welcome to WhiteLineFever.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the WhiteLineFever community.

News Saints - New Signings and Departures !

Discussion in 'St George-Illawarra Dragons' started by S J, Apr 19, 2013.

1. S J

S J Mod Squad Staff Member

Confirmed: Darren Nichols and Mitchell Allgood.

Two with potential - but - do we need them ?

2. ALX22

ALX22 Well-Known Member

NSW Cup players.

S J likes this.
  3. S J

Luciano Leilua has extended his stay with the club for a further two seasons. Leilua, who was off-contract at the end of 2018, will now remain at the Dragons until at least the end of the 2020 Telstra Premiership season.

The Hurstville United local junior made his NRL debut in 2016 and in 2017 earned Illawarra RLFC's Intrust Super Premiership Player of the Year award.

4. S J

Joel Thompson has been granted a release from the final season of his Dragons playing contract. Thompson and his management requested the early release to seek long-term security for he and his family in the NRL.

Thompson's release has now enabled him to take up a multi-year deal at another NRL club ahead of the 2018 Telstra Premiership season.

"Joel and his management approached us about the long-term future he had at the Dragons. It was apparent Joel was looking to secure a long-term contract for his family beyond 2018," Director of Rugby League Pathways Ian Millward said.

5. stanleyg

stanleyg Well-Known Member

like Dugan another very good player off to greener pastures. One for the money and two for security none of which the Dragons could provide to either

6. S J

I'm not that unhappy either are going - but - yes - good players both.

7. stanleyg

stanleyg Well-Known Member

I guess what I am saying is that they struggle to get marquee players down at the Gong and when they do for one reason or another they cant keep most of them. They "grow" their own too then don't have a pathway to top grade for them so they usually have to move on.
    Thompson was one of our more reliable and form players but they couldn't stump up a 2yr contract so its no wonder one might think they overpaid to get Hunt and underpaid to lose Dugan and Thompson.
    Now that Mary has his fingerprints "all over" the 2018 it will be sink or swim for him and the team so I do hope they go well.

S J likes this.
  8. S J

St George Illawarra fullback Matt Dufty has extended his stay with the club for a further season. Dufty, who was off-contract in 2018, will now remain at the Dragons until at least the end of the 2019 season.

The 22-year-old made his NRL debut in Round 20 and went on to play in the Dragons' final seven games of the season.

"It's great to be here for another year. I thought being at the Dragons was the best opportunity for me moving forward in my rugby league career," Dufty said.

9. S J

Dufty's extension follows the likes of Gareth Widdop, Euan Aitken, Jack de Belin, Paul Vaughan, Tim Lafai, Kurt Mann, Jason Nightingale, Blake Lawrie, Luciano Leilua and Cameron McInnes to have re-signed with the Dragons over the past 12 months.

10. Archie

Archie Active Member

Got him for 2 years - he may turn out to be something. Probably end up in Brisbane.

11. SSTID

SSTID Active Member

Unfortunately, Allgood does not live up to his name. He is a dud IMO, a reserve grader at best.

Rabbits 21 likes this.
  12. SSTID

SSTID Active Member

S J, as I went through the first 5 names on your list I ticked each one off as a good re-signing, I winced at the next to and then I got to Nightingale. Surely "Florence" has done enough for the Dragons war effort over the years and it is time to give him a chance to retire with dignity following a stint in the English SL? The same can be said of Souths stalwart John Sutton who needs just 17 games to join the "300 club" (first-grade games) and then it's bon voyage and so long and thanks for all the fish!

13. S J

St George Illawarra Under-20s utility Joe Lovodua has been promoted to the full-time development player squad and has had his contract extended a further 12 months, while front-rower Josh Kerr has also re-signed for a further season.

I quite like the look of Kerr - and Lovo has performed well.

I think they have touched on it SSTID. He wants this season - but may be his last. He still performs OK.

Yeah - we seem to buy these "journeymen". He has potential I guess but ... :)

I like Dufty Arch. Annoys me when they talk about weight. He's the same weight as Changa - and he turned out OK ...

14. SSTID

SSTID Active Member

Dufty is a talent and he can always bulk up. Slater was a stick when he first started playing first grade and he isn't "big" even now.

I would lock Dufty in for the long haul even though I believe Widdop is the Dragons best option at FB (a suitable 5/8 replacement notwithstanding).

15. S J

Actually Jai Field could be the 5/8th option too - or even Dufty. Both very nippy and fast. Widdop did well at FB with England.

16. SSTID

SSTID Active Member

I have been advocating a positional change for Widdop to FB for some time now. He played at FB originally coming through the lower grades at the Storm and it was no surprise that he performed so well as custodian for England. I feel sure though that Mary will play it safe and play Widdop in the halves with Hunt and start Dufty at FB.

17. SSTID

SSTID Active Member

"Nightingale. Surely "Florence" has done enough for the Dragons war effort over the years and it is time to give him a chance to retire"

Great opening try to Nightingale in the WCC game against Hull FC. Florence is determined to make me eat my words I see. Let's see if he can perform to the same standard when the real football starts in Round 1 and the week to week NRL grind begins.

Update: I spoke too soon. "Florence" doesn't know how to keep his hands to himself and bombed a great try to Jeremy Latimore.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  18. SSTID

SSTID Active Member

Watching Widdop filling in at FB against Hull FC, I'm a BIG fan of Dufty but Widdop is your FB Dragons. No doubt about it. Widdop looks dangerous every time he gets the ball in a backline sweep and has set up 2 tries so far since he moved there. Can Dufty play 5/8? Or perhaps Jai Field can get a call-up to partner Hunt.

However, after 71 mins Dufty has 200 run metres so he is making his own case. I like Jai Field as well and he has put on 10 Kg in the off-season and he has Dufty for pace and Dufty is fast. Widdop, however, has the x-factor and can setup tries and opportunities for his outside backs. The Dragons go up 2 gears in attack when Widdop chimes in at FB. Thoughts Dragons fans? S J?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  19. SSTID

SSTID Active Member

2016: Dragons 11th/Hull FC 1st
    2017: Dragons 9th/Hull FC 3rd

Dragons 24 vs Hull FC 18

Draw your own conclusions.

20. Pedro the Saint

Pedro the Saint Member

How did you get to see the game>? Did you go and watch it live>?
    I hope there is a replay somewhere as all i get are the NRL updates/
    The issue i see in starting Widdop at FB is you lumber Hunt with pretty much the hole game plan - and that wont work for Mary.
    Widdop had his best year 2017 - and hopefully Dufty has a break put year and plays his part.