Welcome to WhiteLineFever.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the WhiteLineFever community.

Rumour Saints - News, Rumours and Gossip ?

Discussion in 'St George-Illawarra Dragons' started by S J, Apr 5, 2013.

1. ALX22

ALX22 Well-Known Member

Smart move. Hunt becomes the dominant half, and Field can be the understudy.

2. S J

S J Mod Squad Staff Member

Kurt Mann - Gold Coast move ?

3. moto748

moto748 Well-Known Member

Persistent rumours in England about George Williams going to SGI, with Widdop heading in the opposite direction.

Me, I'd rather have Williams than Widdop any day of the week.

4. S J

Yes - the Widdop back home rumours are there. He might want to much for us to pay. Who do you want the most I guess - Widdop or Dugan ?

Don't know much about Williams. What do you think of him Moto - would he OK playing in the halves in the NRL ?

5. moto748

moto748 Well-Known Member

I'd rather he played for Wigan! You've seen him and Widdop play for England (Widdop more, obviously); what do you think?

And if you saw the WCC...

6. stanleyg

stanleyg Well-Known Member

But Field has now said he wants to play Fullback ( after he bulks up a bit) so grooming him for the halves could be a moot point:bag:

7. S J

General thoughts by a third party:

I think we should let Dugan go if he wants more than $700k and we should make that decision now. Same with Widdop – offer him $6-700 and then move on quickly.

We should then target some guys like Connor Watson (who I think is a really good player) or one of the Storm’s fringe guys – Ryley Jacks and Brodie Croft – both look pretty handy and would be good with Hunt. Otherwise just go with Field and hope he turns into a Milford-type.

I would give Dufty his chance at fullback, so I think we need a really good centre – Latrell Mitchell, Tui Lolohea, or someone like that – the bonus with them is that they cover a few positions and would still be a reasonable price at the moment – certainly not more than Dugan and probably with bigger futures. I’m still not convinced on Aitken either, but I think we signed him up for about 3 years?

Then I think we need one more big forward. George Burgess is not playing well, but a change of clubs might really help him – he would be pretty handy off the bench if he can stop dropping the ball. Souths don’t seem happy with him so you might get him for a good price.

I think we should also move Nighty on and start giving some juniors, like Garrick, a go. It was a bit annoying to see the big Fijian guy, who was our junior, playing for Souths last night. We need a bit more spark still in that backline – the Jennings type (from 5 years ago). Latrell Mitchell really seems to have that.

1. Dufty
    2. McDonald
    3. Aitken
    4. Mitchell (Latrell)/Lolohea
    5. Garrick/Some exciting big fast winger from our juniors or Penrith or Warriors or even an All Black Rugby junior
    6. Field (or go for Connor Watson/Ryley Jacks/Brodie Croft)
    7. Hunt

8. Packer (or someone new – I’m not convinced on his consistency and effort sometimes)
    9. McInnes
    10. Vaughan
    11. Frizell
    12. Thompson
    13. De Belin

14. Sims
    15. Ah Mau/Burgess/Kerr/junior front rower
    16. Host/junior backrower
    17. Watson/Field/junior that can cover backrow and hooker.

We won't raise the issue of Mary ... :) ... yet ... ;)

8. stanleyg

You really don't like the option of Dugan at FB do you?.
    He was our best player against the sharks and probably our best in the first two games now he is learning to pass the ball and not try and do it all himself.
    The only blemish to his game is he puts so much effort into his play he is injury prone.
    If the Dragons can find big bucks for Hunt when they are in so much debt then they need to find the money for Dugan at FB.
    We have a couple of young FB options who are not up to Dugan standard ....yet and an abundance of players who can play in the centre/wings spots not counting those like Glymin on the injury list.
    Once Mary decides on his core team (Dugan at FB) the club can realise some cash by moving on all the extra players the club bought in the hope of finding a good one or two. Some are starting to lift their game this season so I don't envy Marys task of thinning out the playing roster to keep some juniors.
    Nightingale is a versatile winger and if you cant find a full time spot on the team for him then I would use him as a bench player as he has another 2 seasons at top Nrl level.

9. ALX22

ALX22 Well-Known Member

Zero chance of getting Croft who will take over from Cronk when he retires.

10. stanleyg

The storm would have a lot of their younger players locked up after shedding a few of their top grade players over the last couple of seasons.
    Bellamy just keeps on finding replacement young players and occasionally signing a more seasoned player or two.
    The Rorters would also have Latrell pretty well locked up.

11. S J

Just some talking points - not an exact science ... ;)

12. stanleyg

You never know though seeing NRL is a business these days and club loyalty has basically gone out the window.
    It would not be a surprise to see good players swap teams when the silly season transfer wheel stops spinning.

13. S J

Teddy eyeing a RED VEE jersey ?

14. stanleyg

The Dragons have been burned by a Tigpies player before.If they get anyone from over there they need a lawyer proof contract.
    Call it the "Moltzen effect"

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  15. S J

Cooper Cronk ?

16. stanleyg

You would hope NOT.
    The Dragons have a couple of young halves doing ok with the threat of a massively overpaid Hunt due next season.
    Cronk as good as he is would want a lot of money and seeing he is 33 he would 34 when he arrived . The Tigpies could use his services more than the Dragons

S J and ALX22 like this.
  17. S J

Well - he's going somewhere .... and stranger things have happened. It would only be 1-2 seasons.

18. stanleyg

You are absolutely right.
    At this point he is moving to Sydney but then again one cant be sure about it as his Lady might get a good offer to move to Melbourne.
    I just cant see any merit in the Dragons signing an extra half while most other Sydney clubs seemed to be fairly settled on their halves combinations ......although the Sharks seem to be buying anyone who is available lately

19. S J

And they will have to replace Bird.

20. stanleyg

Bird is more of a utility player capable of playing anywhere except maybe front row. It would mean Townsend would have to fight for his spot. You could toss the dodgies or even the Seagles into the mix to.