Welcome to WhiteLineFever.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the WhiteLineFever community.

Your Round 1 Souths side!

Discussion in 'South Sydney Rabbitohs' started by Rabbits 21, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Rabbits 21

Rabbits 21 Active Member

SJ should be able to answer that..

2. RADICAL RABBIT

RADICAL RABBIT Active Member

You do the same thing sometimes aye - go to a game and then watch a recording of it later, in case you missed something?

Rabbits 21 likes this.
  3. Rabbits 21

Rabbits 21 Active Member

Of course that's my fav way to do it....

4. southsport

southsport Active Member

It would be for 2018 if it is a swap with Farah, when does the ESL season end?

5. S J

S J Mod Squad Staff Member

Charity Shield must be on soon too. Its on Fox 2.

Rabbits 21 likes this.
  6. southsport

southsport Active Member

Feb 24 at Mudgee.

Probably will be GI's return match.

Ben Hunt looks like he's settling in nicely SJ?

7. S J

Yes - I feel he may be a really top buy. Should settle in with Widdop well. I hope Dufty does too.

A few younger guys looking good.

8. S J

Games are all on Fox 2.

Wigan v Hull and next week v Souths and Saints.

Also Charity Shield the following week.

Rabbits 21 likes this.
  9. Rabbits 21

Rabbits 21 Active Member

Should be pushing for top 4.

S J likes this.
  10. Rabbits 21

Rabbits 21 Active Member

11. callmack1

callmack1 Junior Member

I think this is our strongest side for 2018:

1. Johnston
    2. Graham (left)
    3. Inglis (left, captain)
    4. Gagai
    5. Kennar
    6.Walker
    7. Reynolds
    8. T.Burgess
    9. Cook
    10. S.Burgess
    11. Fuimaono
    12. Turner
    13. Murray

14. Sutton
    15. Crichton
    16. Musgrove
    17. G.Burgess

Explanations:

I think all of us will agree GI must be centre with AJ at the back. We just can't afford to have GI burn out or get injured again and miss a huge amount of games, he's so important to us and we need him on the field. Playing him at centre would obviously reduce his workload significantly, hopefully preventing this burn out. Imo, he's still one of the best centres in the world and he'd be absoulutely amazing there outside of Cody, so destructive.

AJ is also fine at fullback. We saw him really grow into the role at the back end of 2017 and I expect that to continue this year. I think a spine of Johnston, Walker, Reynolds and Cook will suit our new attacking style perfectly and that's a really exciting spine.

Graham being outside of GI will be great for his game and he will learn so much and apparently, Kennar is the front runner for that right wing spot.

Cook over Farah any day of the week.

I want Sam in a sort of roaming prop role as I feel that we won't get his full impact if he plays second row and we need his defence to tighten up the middle.

Some of you might question me picking Turner on that right edge. I would have normally picked Crichton but I don't think he'll be starting due to the whole Roosters situation. Therefore, I want Turner there mainly for his defence. Crichton isn't bad but he's not the best defensively and he left Reyno on his own so many times last year and you really don't want your half going one-on-one with much bigger players close to the line, Turner is one of the best defensive players in our squad and he'd really tighten this area up and help out Reyno. Yes, he's noting special in attack but he can do a job.

Rabbits 21 likes this.
  12. Rabbits 21

Rabbits 21 Active Member

Great post....

I fully get your Turner point too..

The thing that lets AJ down is as he's a smaller build he can sometimes get ragdolled and its hard for him defensively at fullback too.. Bur yeah he must play fullback..

callmack1 likes this.
  13. RADICAL RABBIT

I reckon Crichton will improve in defense. Remember he is quite young. I thought his defense was fine most of the time anyway.

14. Rabbits 21

Rabbits 21 Active Member

I don't care as he's leaving to Rorters....

Bench him...

15. RADICAL RABBIT

But I want Souths to win as many games as possible this year and he is one of our best forwards.

Rabbits 21 likes this.
  16. Rabbits 21

Rabbits 21 Active Member

I would still give him 55-60 mins but leave him off the first 20-25.....

If his form slides hook him.....

17. callmack1

callmack1 Junior Member

I'm hoping AJ can also develop his ball playing ability as that is obviously critical for the modern day fullback. He started to show that side of his game before he got injured last year and I hope it's something he's really been focussing on.

RADICAL RABBIT and Rabbits 21 like this.
  18. Rabbits 21

Rabbits 21 Active Member

He very well may play this week....

After 30-40 I'd pull him off though...

19. SSTID

SSTID Active Member

I can agree with 1 - 7. Lock that in.

8. T.Burgess (if he keeps losing the ball send him to reserve grade and promote Britt to the bench until Sam Johnstone is ready)
    9. Cook < like you said, "every day of the week!"
    10. Musgrove (No, Sam is wasted in the middle and is a weapon on the left edge. He used to play on the right but Crichton is holding that down now).
    11. S.Burgess
    12. Crichton
    13. Murray < absolutely 100% (if Murray is unavailable at any point S.Burgess moves to lock)

14. Sutton (I agree with using Sutton for impact but his soft hands, passing and kicking game may still be required for more mins than just as a cameo)
    15. Turner
    16. Fuimaono
    17. G.Burgess (if he keeps losing the ball send him to reserve grade and promote Britt to the bench until Sam Johnstone is ready)

BOTH Burgess boys are in the "Last Chance Saloon" for mine this year. If they can't hold the ball and make their tackles then they need to work on their game in reserve grade. I think Big George will be pumped though after missing out on the World Cup and will be itching to rip in. Surgess, Crichton and Murray all have the ability to play 80 mins so interchanges will need to be planned well as each of these 3 need to play big mins IMO which might see Sam move from a left edge to cover lock for Murray or to the front row to cover that rotation as well. One of Surgess's greatest weapons is his ability to offload the ball which is often overlooked. Out wide one on one he would be impossible to stop and with Inglis and AJ running off him, Campbell Graham outside them and Walker following him on the inside looking for a lazy defender there would be few more frightening sites in the game I would imagine.

There is no doubt Sam Burgess would be an asset in the middle third but if that is the case then he should be playing 13 but that is Murray's position now IMO. Sam can wreak havoc out wide on either edge but Crichton is the first choice on the right edge and is set to have a massive year to silence critics and go out in style. Is is an honest hard working country kid who will not look for shortcuts but will roll his sleeves up and dig in. It is a real shame that Souths could never lure Ben Te'o back, even at 31 he still would provide a huge asset. Turner though not really a front rower can cover back row and front row and he is closer to being a front rower than Clark in any case.

"I think all of us will agree GI must be centre"

You would be surprised how many people (including the coach and GI don't agree) but there is no other option if Inglis has any chance of making it through the entire season without injury.

20. Rabbits 21

Rabbits 21 Active Member

I just think if you move Sam away from the middle our middle is much softer... I also wuestion if he's fast enough in defence in the back row as there are lots of fast paced back rowers these days.

Prop and lock these days are much the same thing imo.

Even at prop Sam can still have a license to move over the field....

callmack1 likes this.