Welcome to WhiteLineFever.com! Log in or Sign up to interact with the WhiteLineFever community.

Your Round 1 Souths side!

Discussion in 'South Sydney Rabbitohs' started by Rabbits 21, Feb 6, 2018.

1. SSTID

SSTID Active Member

I can understand your point but if George and Tom lift their game, their consistency and their mins then that already provides a lot of beef in the middle for Souths. Musgrove is improving all the time and I think will go up a gear this year as well which gives Souths 3 big boppers in the middle. Turner can cover front and back rower but he is a back rower. Britt and Johnstone are also on hand and should get opportunities in 2018. Nicholls and Rodwell are also part of the squad covering the front row and Lucky Ta’avale has also played as a middle forward and is yet another option. Souths have decent options and depth with young kids coming through. Sam does not have to be used as cannon fodder IMO. But I certainly take your point.

2. Rabbits 21

Rabbits 21 Well-Known Member

I can't see the twins playing long minutes. They get too fatigued and then the errors flow and the defensive mistakes too. I can see them go well in shorter more effective bursts. Tom could play 35-40 mins and George 25mins but no more than 30.

The thing with Musgrove for me is that when it's going against us his discipline slips away and he gives penalties away. Hopefully as he's getting older he's also getting stronger.

Turner is quite strong defensively in the back row but he's doesn't hit the ball up enough.... some games there he will only make 4-5 hit ups which isn't good enough for first grade level. Whereas in the middle Turner has no choice but to hit the ball up.

I would prefer it if Sam starts in the back row and then after about 25 minutes he shifts to prop with Sam replacing Tom and Crichton coming on off the bench. Then at about the 25min mark take Turner off and bring on Musgrove. I feel Musgrove goes better when the sting of the start of the game fades out.

So I'd go with:

AJ
    Kennar
    Gagai
    GI
    Graham
    Cody
    AR
    Tom
    Cook
    Turner
    Sam (to prop after 20)
    Fuimaono
    Murray

Sutton
    Musgrove
    Crichton
    George

Farah
    Nicholls
    Clark
    Jennings/Hunt

callmack1 likes this.
  3. SSTID

SSTID Active Member

GI plays on the left side and Gagai on the right so I think you have to reverse your outside backs.

1. Johnston
    2. Graham
    3. Inglis
    4. Gagai
    5. Kennar

I'm also wary of having Kyle Turner as a starting prop (it really isn't his position), he can pull it off as an impact player off the bench but the early grind could be a challenge IMO.

4. Rabbits 21

I don't think it matters too much mate like the guy in the 5 jersey could play either right or left!!!

Like I've seen Goodwin wear the no.4 for Souths and play at left centre. I do think we should've kept Goodwin too. With all these youngsters experience is invaluable and if he slowed up at the start of 2019 season then play him at Norths. We should've offered him a 2 year deal. Without him the likes of Kennar, Hunt and Graham plus Jennings etc...... are gonna have to do more shit work than what they have done this previous season.

I do see your point re Turner and I guess time will tell... that was my side I wanted but I do expect Seibs to start with Musgrove or Sam at prop to partner Tom.

I'm really looking forward to seeing a few of our first graders with our depth plus younger players this Saturday. I'll be watching very closely.

You heading out there mate?

5. SSTID

SSTID Active Member

"in the 5 jersey could play either right or left!!!"

Your exclamation mark key got stuck again Rabbits. Remember to use the brown paper bag and breathe slowly! You are right they could, but the numbering is a general indication of where they are going to play. Of course for someone like Gerard Beale who isn't too sure where to stand in the first place it is of little consequence.

6. Rabbits 21

Well that's how I post.

S J likes this.
  7. southsport

southsport Well-Known Member

And I do one sentence posts! ;)

S J and Rabbits 21 like this.
  8. SSTID

SSTID Active Member

OK

9. SSTID

SSTID Active Member

2 letters! ;)

10. southsport

Lol, I like it.

11. S J

S J Mod Squad Staff Member

GI is the interesting one. Be interesting to see if he plays in Charity Shield - and where. If he moves about.

12. S J

Me too ... :)

13. SSTID

SSTID Active Member

I think Seibold has already confirmed that GI and Reynolds will be rested.

Rabbits 21 and S J like this.
  14. southsport

Bully on the pride posted this:

GREG Inglis has revealed he’s been coaching Alex Johnston to replace him at fullback but won’t rule out a return to the No.1 when he makes his long-awaited return from injury.

The South Sydney star is nearing his return to the field but will have the final say on not only when he returns but where he plays this season.

Sidelined since March last year after suffering an ACL injury in the opening round, Inglis and new coach Anthony Seibold have decided the 31-year-old can take as long as he needs to regain the confidence in his knee before taking the field.

“Seibs has left it (to me). He wants me to play but he’s more about making sure the person’s right first before the footballer,” Inglis said. “That’s what I love about Seibs.”

The Rabbitohs kick off their season against the Warriors on March 10 but at this stage Inglis is unlikely to be there.

Four weeks out from the new season Inglis has only just resumed a full training load.

Confined to the gym and the sidelines for much of the pre-season, Inglis is finally back on the field on a permanent basis.

“I finished my first full week of training last week,” Inglis said.

“It’s pretty exciting because throughout the pre season I’ve usually been training one day on and a couple of days off.

“Last week was my first full week finishing training. Backing up training is really rewarding because I know I’m getting closer. The confidence is building back up.”

Throughout the off-season, much has been speculated about where Inglis will play once he returns.

For now, Inglis is likely to line up at left centre but whether that’s in the first, second or third round remains unclear.

“Each and every day I want to continue to keep pushing. I’ll keep pushing for round one but when it comes it comes,” Inglis said.

“Whether I play Charity Shield, round one or round four, there’s no time frame on it.”

In a bid to have Inglis return to his terrorising best, coach Seibold will let the man known as ‘GI’ make the call on if and when he wants to reclaim the No.1.

In the meantime, Inglis has been grooming Johnston to take his place.

Johnston will have first crack at fullback after exclusively training in the role with Inglis tutoring him while injured.

“Pretty much the whole pre-season with his injury, he was standing behind and watching what I would do and would tip me up on the run,” Johnston said of Inglis.

“A few video sessions as well.

“A lot of it is defensively being in the right position. Getting numbers right and when to put what where.

“In attack, the shapes out the back and how deep I am and getting my passing options right.”

This role is one Johnston has played before but struggled for consistency in for much of his career.

Having worn the No.1 to finish last season, Johnston finished the tail end of 2017 in strong fashion.

Along with new recruit from Melbourne, Jesse Arthars, Johnson has been cutting up video with Inglis as part of his study.

Whether the mentor takes the duo aside at training or holds them back for extras, Inglis is enjoying the responsibility of mentoring the custodians.

“As the older and more experienced players, we need to help the young guys coming through,” Inglis said.

“I love having AJ out the back. He’s obviously quick and very smart and the more I can teach him about what to look out for in the fullback role, the more better off we’re going to be as a team.”

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
    Rabbits 21 and S J like this.
  15. S J

Thanks SS.

They usually play about 27 on the night too ... :)

16. callmack1

callmack1 Well-Known Member

Sounds to me like GI will return Round 3.

No need to rush him at all imo.

Rabbits 21 likes this.
  17. southsport

Sam B was on Ch7 sport saying GI looks good, I can't find the vid though.

callmack1 likes this.
  18. callmack1

callmack1 Well-Known Member

Well he is back to full training and he has no strapping which is good.

I saw a video of him doing sprints and he looked pretty sharp dude.

19. Rabbits 21

Can't see him playing in it....

S J likes this.
  20. Rabbits 21

For the double header against Manly.....

What a night that'd be...

S J and callmack1 like this.